The Short Story Competition 2018 is now open
By submitting online you agree to comply with these Conditions of Entry.
Competition closes Saturday 28 July 2018 at 4pm
The Awards Ceremony will be held on Thursday 23 August 2018 (by invitation only).
Ensure you have your files ready to upload.
- your short story as a word or text file (doc, docx or txt)
Please be patient when you hit the Submit button while your files upload. This may take some time.
Conditions of Entry
By submitting this online form you are declaring that:
- This entry is entirely my own work and it is an original unpublished work.
- If under the age of 18, I have parent/guardian permission to enter this competition
- Entries will only be accepted via this online form
- If you require help to submit online please ask library staff for help. We an also help scan your story.
1. Participants must reside, work or study in the City of Monash, or be a member of the Monash Public Library Service (MPLS).
2. One entry per person.
3. The competition will be judged in three sections:
• Category A: 12-14 years (500 words max)
• Category B: 15-17 years (1,000 words max)
• Category C: Adult (2,000 words max)
4. Exceeding the word limit will result in disqualification.
5. Entries must be the entrant’s own original work.
6. Students undertaking VCE may submit VCE writing assignments provided they meet Conditions 1, 2, 3 and 4.
7. For the purpose of this competition, a short story is defined as A work of fiction written in prose or narrative format that meets the size limitations outlined in Condition 3. A short story does not include poetry, scripts or embedded images.
8. Entries must be typed and in a minimum size 12 font and submitted as a text/word document only (NO PDF or other file formats).
9. Entries will be judged on content
10. Entries must be submitted online via www.monlib.vic.gov.au/wfc unless special permission is given by MPLS.
11. Competition opens 19 June 2018 at 10am.
12. Competition closes Saturday 28 July 2018 at 4pm
13. If under the age of 18, I have parent/guardian permission to enter this competition
14. The judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. Personal details must NOT be included on theshort story document itself otherwise it will be disqualified from the competition.
16. Submitted entries may be used and published in part or full by the City of Monash on their websites and other media UNLESS written notice withdrawing consent accompanies the entry at the time of submission.
17. The Monash Public Library Service reserves the right to send promotional information about the competition and other related programs and events up to 12 months after the receipt of the personal details of entrants.
Category A (12-14 years)
1st Prize: $200
2nd Prize: $100
3rd Prize: $75
Category B (15-17 years)
1st Prize: $300
2nd Prize: $150
3rd Prize: $100
Category C (Adult)
1st Prize: $500
2nd Prize: $250
3rd Prize: $150
Back to form submission.