Read at least three stories a day; it may be the same story three times. Children need to hear a thousand stories before they can begin to learn to read. Or the same story a thousand times! — Mem Fox
The 1,000 books before school campaign is designed to influence the home learning environment by encouraging families and pre-school children to develop a reading habit. Research shows that “home literacy”, or engaging with language and reading at home, increases reading readiness and prepares children to enter school with the skills they need to do well and thrive.
By reading just one book each evening, the 1,000-book target can be achieved in less than three years and your child will be set for a lifelong love of books and learning.
The concept is simple:
Customers register and receive a reading record in which they track the books that they read to their children. This program is specifically for children who have not yet started school. Children can be registered from as young as newborns up until they commence school. The idea is complete the program before commencing school.
- Reading is logged on reading records.
- Children achieve a small incentive from the library for reaching their reading goals (prizes can be collected in branch by showing a completed reading record).
- After reading 1,000 books with their parents, children are awarded a certificate and gift to mark their achievement.
Monash Public Library Service is now offering online registration for this popular program.
- You will need to provide your MPLS library card number and ensure your address is up-to-date on your account on our catalogue.
- We will mail out the 1000 Books Before School (BBS) starter pack once COVID-19 restrictions have eased.
- However, we will forward the reading record sheets via your supplied email so you can start reading with your child as soon as possible.
- If you have further questions please contact your nearest branch library.
Congratulations to children and parents who have reached the 1000 BBS milestone.
Register your pre-school child online now!
Please note: children who are already at school can join our School Holiday Programs and Summer Reading program.
We are collecting your personal information for the purpose of enrolling your child in the 1000 Books Before School reading program. This information will not be disclosed to any external party without your consent, unless required or authorised by law.
If you wish to gain access to, or alter any personal information you have supplied within this application, please contact our libraries or email firstname.lastname@example.org