The online Intercultural High Tea Book Club has been a great success and has developed a successful, easy pattern to its meetings.
During each session a couple of books are introduced and discussed, shared by different members in turn. Discussions are informal and there is no need to pre-read a particular book as the leader gives a synopsis, introduces the main issues and then a discussion follows. We have a couple of keen cooks who share international recipes and we've recently introduced a new feature, with one member sharing their life history and culture, perhaps their immigration journey - which has given fascinating insights and helped to deepen friendships.
The group has resumed for 2021 on a three weekly basis, restarting on 5th February 10.30-11.30 am.
We'll meet face to face as soon as that is possible - at a venue to be determined - but we also plan to run the sessions concurrently via Zoom for those who live too far away to attend in person .
Newcomers will be most welcome - and feel free to just listen for starters - until you feel ready to contribute.
If you’d like to know more or to request login details, please contact :
MIG Aims to:
- bring people from various cultural groups together for social cohesion
- foster intercultural understanding and friendship
- encourage a love of reading
- enable an exchange of views on their readings
- share recipes from around the world
- address social isolation, particularly if you live alone