Video conferencing apps are now becoming essential for us to stay in touch with loved ones and friends.
The library is conducting live, online Zoom workshops and events. If you haven't used Zoom before here are some helpful tips and links.
How to use Zoom
- On a laptop you only need the meeting invitation link which you copy and paste into a browser window (MS Edge, Chrome, Safari internet browser).
- On a mobile device download and install the Zoom app: App store for iPhone/iPad and Google Play store for all Android devices.
- Once installed open the app and make an account /or sign in with your previously made account details with username and password.
- Zoom requires you give permission to use your device camera and audio so make sure you answer yes to any pop-up messages that ask these questions. This will ensure you can hear, speak and see the meeting and others can hear and see you. Both video and audio can be turned off by you if you wish.
- To join a meeting sent to you via email just click the Zoom meeting link in the email.
- Select if you would like to connect audio and/or video and tap Join Meeting.
- Specific help for devices and joining meetings.
- Test Zoom meeting: to check your device is working correctly with audio and video
- Often the host will need to start the meeting before you can join.
- Join the meeting/event a few minutes early so you can troubleshoot any problems
- With large meetings (>5 people) it is polite to mute your microphone so noise is not distracting to others. The host may also mute everyone’s sound in order to run the meeting/event without interruption.
- Leave the meeting by tapping the Leave button.
Note: You must be connected to the internet to join the meeting. Use your wifi to join without incurring telephone data charges.
Other video meeting applications