Multicultural Advisory Committee
Monash is one of the most culturally diverse communities in Victoria with around 45% of our population born overseas.
This committee's aim is to provide Council with advice on multicultural issues and on the implementation of Council's Monash Health and Wellbeing Plan.
- Consults on issues affecting Monash's culturally and linguistically diverse community and provides feedback and advice to Council on its policies, plans and services that impact people of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Helps Council to promote the benefits of cultural diversity in the Monash municipality and beyond and provides advice to Council with its communication, engagement and consultation with CALD communities
- Advocates on behalf of CALD residents
- Considers joint funding and other opportunities that may arise.
Terms of Reference
Multicultural Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference(PDF, 161KB)
Meeting Frequency and Duration
Appointments to the Multicultural Advisory Committee are for a two-year term and members may re-apply for a further two-year term.
The committee meets every 2 months for 2 hours, and we expect each member attends a minimum of 60% of all meetings.
Council endorsed the appointment of the following 8 new community representatives and 1 agency representative to the Multicultural Advisory Committee, each for a two-year term, at its 29 November Meeting:
- Cr Nicky Luo
- Cr Tina Samardzija
- Oksana King - second term
- Rida Khan - second term
- Mohamed Mohideen - second term
- Elisha Lee
- Nira Rahman
- Rajmohan Ramanathapillai
- Eman Armanous
- Philip Liberatore
- Rukhsana Ahmadi
- Amit Patel
- Malinda Zhu
- Saied Rezawi – Agency representative: MiCare
Council thanks the following 8 members who are retiring for their contribution, having served 2 two-year terms:
- Bala Balamurugan
- May Hu
- Victoria Mandoh
- Lena Kojadelian
- Jimmy Jian-Min Li
- Theresa Ssali
- Richard Ng
- Konstantina Kouroutsidou
At its 30 March 2021 meeting, Council endorsed:
- Appointment of the following four community representatives to the Multicultural Advisory Committee, each for a two-year term: Dakhina Mitra, Oksana King, Rida Khan and Mohamed Mohideen.
- Updated Multicultural Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
At its 27 January 2021 meeting, Council noted the resignation of Shivan Arora and Harvey Foenander from the Multicultural Advisory Committee, with Esha Zahid completing her term.
Cultural Diversity Community Development Officer
Kate Wijeyesinghe (she/her)
Phone: 9518 3241