Setting up a new Hairdressing, Beauty and Body Art Business

If you want to start a new hairdressing, beauty or body art business, please refer to:

These guidelines will help you ensure your business meets requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019.

Please note: Massage, saunas, flotation tanks, gymnasium equipment and alternative therapies do not require registration with Council's Health Unit. Other permits may be required, for example, Town Planning.

Approvals and permits

Council now offers a streamlined online single application and specialist customer service through a Business Application Officer to help you upfront and throughout your permit process (checklists and tools to guide you through assessing and applying for the right permits).

Visit: Starting or Buying a Business - Business Application


After submission of the online application and inspection by an Environmental Health Officer, Council will provide you with an invoice to pay the relevant fees. 

Permit Fees(PDF, 103KB)

Payment methods:

  • In person (cash/cheque/credit) -  293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley or 3 Atherton Road, Oakleigh
  • By phone – Call Council on 9518 3555 and pay using your MasterCard, Visa or American Express card 
  • By mail - forward cheque or money order to Public Health Unit, PO Box 1, GLEN WAVERLEY, VIC, 3150
    Please do not send cash through the mail.