Monash Council is committed to supporting our local sporting clubs to provide opportunities to members of the community to lead healthy, happy and thriving lives. Sports clubs provide a unique space in the community to promote health through improved fitness, social connections and emotional wellbeing.
Council has a history of strong leadership in the prevention of harm from gambling with the introduction of Council's Public Health Approach to Gambling Harm Policy 2016-2020. This policy was updated in 2022 and highlights Council’s aim to improve the health and quality of life of all community members. The policy builds upon the commitment to the reduction of harm from gambling and continues the standing of Monash as a leader and change-agent on this public health issue within the local government sector.
To assist Monash sports clubs primarily with the implementation of the Monash Public Health Approach to Gambling Harm Policy and simultaneously support actions from both the Monash Health & Wellbeing Plan and Active Monash Sports Club Framework, Council is making available once-off grants of up to $2,500.
A pool of $97,406.55 is available and will be allocated equitably* across all successful applicants up to $2,500.
Funding will be provided to implement the Monash Public Health Approach to Gambling Harm Policy and encourage greater participation from underrepresented community members in the club. Examples of what the funding may be used for could include replacing items (e.g. uniforms, signage) that include sponsor logos not aligned with the policy or providing information and education to members on preventing harms from gambling.
To ensure a strong club culture, it is strongly recommended that the funding is distributed evenly across the club with gender equity in mind, with benefits such as access to new uniforms and equipment accessible to all members where possible.
*This may result in a higher level of funding for those clubs with male and female teams and/or teams of all abilities to promote intersectional gender equality.
To be eligible to receive a Sports Club Grant, applicants must:
- be an incorporated community organisation with not-for-profit status
- be a sports club within the City of Monash boundaries
- maintain public liability insurance cover for a minimum of $20 million
- be compliant with Council’s Sports Club Framework including having no debts or outstanding grant documentation to Council
- adhere to the Monash Public Health Approach to Gambling Harm Policy by not promoting venues that have Electronic Gaming Machines or gambling activities
- be able to expend the funding by 30 June 2024.
Previous funding from other Monash Council grant programs has no effect on an applicant’s eligibility to apply.
Items Eligible/Non-Eligible for Funding
Eligible items for funding are:
- Equipment (up to $500) - sporting equipment, audio-visual equipment, equipment that will allow those of all abilities to participate in a program
- Promotional & advertising material
- Website updates to remove logos and promotional material inconsistent with Council policies
- Forums and education focussing on preventing harms from gambling
- Training for committee members
Please note the following are not eligible for funding:
- Fundraising activities
- Capital infrastructure
- Gifts and prizes
- Events held in venues that have Electronic Gaming Machines (EGMs)
- Projects/services that are inconsistent with Council’s objectives; partisan political in nature or that duplicate other existing projects/services