Monash Council currently has three $2,000 grants available to three local sports clubs to contribute to the costs of providing Mental Health First Aid training or other training that will assist in meeting requirements of the Active Monash Sports Club Framework.
After the disruption caused by the pandemic since March 2020, local community groups, programs and events are more important than ever to reconnect and strengthen the communities in which we live. These local community organisations offer a vital way for members of the Monash community to reduce social isolation and loneliness, and build community connections that are so important for mental and social health.
The past two years have had a large impact on mental health within the community and sports clubs are well placed to be a first point of contact to offer assistance.
To assist the community in this space Council has made available three $2,000 Sports Club Training grants for Monash sports clubs. This funding will be used to engage a highly credentialed Mental Health First Aid trainer to enable the training of volunteers within the club, or to provide funding for training that will assist with meeting the requirements of the Active Monash Sports Club Framework.
By providing training of Mental First Aid officers the main benefit expected will be a Club better equipped to deal with any concerns arising from the mental health of club members. Ensuring there are a number of these officers within the club will provide the opportunity to 'best match' an individual's mental health issue to someone they feel comfortable discussing these issues with.
To be eligible to receive a Sports Club Training Grant, applicants must:
- be an incorporated community group with not for profit status or auspiced by an eligible organisation
- be a sports club located within the City of Monash boundaries
- deliver the training within the City of Monash boundaries
- maintain public liability insurance cover for a minimum of $20 million
- have no debts to Council and have completed any previous Monash Community Grants Program or Quick Response Grant funding acquittal requirements
- be able to deliver the training by 30 June 2023.
Previous funding from other Monash Council Grants Programs has no effect on an applicant’s eligibility to apply.