Aged and Community Support Advocacy


Anyone using, or interested in using, community support services has the right to involve an advocate for representation. An advocate can be a friend, family member or independent person who speaks or acts on behalf of someone who feels they are unable to put their views or wishes forward by themselves. 

For further information regarding advocacy or details on accessing an independent advocate, please contact the Office of the Public Advocate on 1300 309 337

Aged Care Rights

The Charter of Aged Care Rights applies to people once they start receiving Government-subsidised aged care, including services under the program, and outlines what to expect from aged-care service providers. You can view the Charter at Charter of Aged Care Rights | Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

Serious Incident Response Scheme (SIRS) in home care 

From 1 December 2022, the Serious Incident Response Scheme (SIRS) has been extended from residential aged care to home care and flexible care delivered in a home or community setting.

This extension applies to Commonwealth-subsidised home care services, including the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP).

Home services providers working in a home care setting now need to notify the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission if any of 8 types of reportable incidents occur.

Aged care providers and Commonwealth-subsidised home care providers have specific responsibilities under the scheme to prevent and manage incidents and notify the commission of reportable incidents. This helps to improve the quality of care and services. 

What is SIRS?

Senior Australians have the right to feel safe and live dignified, self-determined lives free from exploitation, violence and abuse. As a person who receives services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme, you have the right to safe and quality care.

The Serious Incident Response Scheme (SIRS) is a Commonwealth Government initiative to help prevent and reduce the potential risk of abuse and neglect of older Australians receiving Commonwealth-subsidised care and services.

The scheme requires providers of aged care, and now Commonwealth-subsidised home care, to manage and take reasonable action to prevent incidents, with a focus on the safety, health, wellbeing and quality of life of consumers.

If a serious incident happens while you are receiving a service, providers must:

  • talk to you and others about what has happened and work with you to resolve the issue
  • make a record of what has happened
  • report the incident to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, if required

Read more: SIRS in home services | Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

Handling your concerns

Monash Council is committed to delivering high-quality services to our clients. If you do have a concern about the way a service was provided or offered, we have a complaints process to help resolve your concerns.

If you wish to use an external avenue, such as advocacy or dispute resolution, there are agencies available to you, including the Health Complaints Commissioner and the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission.

Privacy and confidentiality

Council complies with all aspects of Privacy/Confidentiality and Freedom of Information legislation.

Who are we?

We are one of the health and community support services in your area that work together to meet your health needs.

What information do we collect about you?

We keep your name and contact details on your client record. We ask for next of kin contact details in case of emergency or if you are not home for a scheduled visit. 

Why do we collect your information?

The information we collect helps us to keep up-to-date details about your needs so we can care for you in the best possible way. We also use the information to better manage and plan this service.

Who else sees your information?

Your information can only be seen by the professionals in this service who are involved in your care. Otherwise, we only release information about you if you agree or if required by law, such as in a medical emergency.

What say do you have in what happens to your information?

You have a say in what happens to your information. We rely on the information you give us to help provide the right care for you. If you decide not to share some of your information or restrict access to your client record this is your right, but it may affect our ability to provide you with the best possible services. Talk to us if you wish to change or cancel your consent.

How will your information be protected?

We are committed to protecting the confidentiality of your record. The privacy of your information is also protected by law. We treat your information in the strictest confidence and store it securely.

Can you access your information?

Yes, you have a right to request access to your information and to ask for it to be corrected if necessary.

Any other questions?

Please phone 9518 3553.