How to Appeal My Parking Fine

Council patrols and enforces parking restrictions in the municipality. 


If you wish to email your appeal, please email DCA at

NOTE: The maximum size limit the above email address can receive is 20MB. If you experience any problems, please call Monash Council on 9518 3555.

You must include the following information:

  • Name and address
  • The infringement notice number
  • Car registration number
  • The reasons why you believe we should review the infringement notice

Mail, In Person

If you want to appeal a parking fine, you must write to us or deliver a letter in person to either of the following locations:

  •  Monash City Council Offices
    293 Springvale Road
    Glen Waverley VIC 3150
  • Oakleigh Service Centre
    3 Atherton Road
    Oakleigh VIC 3166

You must include the following information:

  • Name and address
  • The infringement notice number
  • Car registration number
  • The reasons why you believe we should review the infringement notice

What happens next?

The process can take up to 90 days. Do not pay the fine in this time. You should phone us on 9058 6604 to check we have received your letter. Upon final review of your application, we will contact you with our decision.

How will Council make a decision?

We will decide to enforce the fine based on the following information:

  • Did the offence happen?

For example, if you were fined for staying in a space for too long you must be able to prove that you returned in time.

  • Have we issued the fine to the right person?

If not, then the registered owner needs to complete all relevant sections of a Driver Nomination Form(PDF, 799KB) ensuring provision of an Australian address for the driver, sign the form and forward it to Council:

Monash City Council
GPO Box 425
Melbourne VIC 3001

  • Is the driver claiming ‘special circumstances’ as defined in the Infringements Act?

‘Special circumstances’ means the person has a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness or a serious addiction to drugs or alcohol which means they are unable to understand the offence or unable to control their behaviour.

  • Are there exceptional circumstances?
  • Were the circumstances beyond the control of the driver?

The following are circumstances where we may consider withdrawing an infringement notice:

  • If your vehicle broke down
  • If you were in, or involved in, a medical emergency
  • If you are a recent resident and had not yet received or bought your parking permit
  • If you had recently bought your vehicle and had not changed over details yet

You must prove all of these circumstances are true. For example, a letter from the hospital or your doctor, copies of towing dockets and repair invoices, or copies of lease documents and contracts of sale.

We may ask you for a statutory declaration if the circumstances are complex and you cannot prove them with a document or letter.

Reasons that are not valid:

  • Poor visibility due to weather
  • Not noticing a sign
  • Reading only part of a multi-panel sign
  • Being unable to read the sign from the front seat of the car
  • Forgetting to read the sign
  • Not noticing that a sign/restriction had been changed
  • Running late or being in a hurry
  • Parking within 10m of an intersection
  • Being delayed at an appointment
  • Stopping for a short time in a prohibited area (for example; stopping in a ‘no stopping’ area even if it is just to pick up or drop off passengers or goods)
  • Being new to the area and unfamiliar with the restrictions (this applies regardless of whether the driver is from Victoria, interstate or overseas)
  • Being unaware of the road rules (all licensed drivers are expected to be aware and comply with the road rules at all times)
  • Residents with a parking permit that have parked in the incorrect permit zone
  • Non-residents parking in restricted residents' areas

What happens if the appeal is unsuccessful?

You have the option of paying the infringement notice by the due date or taking the case to the Magistrates' Court. You must write to us if you wish to refer the matter to the Magistrates' Court. If you fail to pay or respond within 28 days of the due date, we will start legal proceedings.