Underpinning, re-stumping or otherwise altering the footing of a building, is changing part of the building’s support structure and is considered a structural alteration. You will need a building permit for structural alterations to a building.

For a project like this, you will need a soil report to successfully apply for a building permit. More information about soil reports can be found at Soil Investigation.

If you have encountered suspected asbestos as a part of your renovation, please see the following section before work continues: Encountering Asbestos.