Retaining Walls

If a wall is part of the structure supporting the building, then it is deemed to be a retaining wall. Removing or altering a retaining or supporting wall is considered to be a structural alteration. You will always need a building permit for any structural alterations to a building.

You may also need a soil report to successfully apply for your building permit. Please contact Council's Building Department on 9518 3555 for more information.

Planning permits for retaining wall renovations are not essential, unless:

  • The renovation is for a commercial project, like fitting out a commercial kitchen, or rooms for student accommodation
  • Your property is on a block of land less than 500m2 in size
  • Your property is under a Heritage overlay

If you have encountered suspected asbestos as part of your renovation, please see the following section before work continues: Encountering Asbestos.