Monash Council operates weekly playgroups for families and children from birth to 5 years.
The service has a playgroup facilitator onsite during open hours to welcome and support you.
Who Can Attend?
Parents, grandparents, carers and their children aged up to 5 are all welcome.
Our regular face-to-face playgroup sessions have now resumed for 2023. Our virtual playgroup sessions have also resumed.
If you are interested in attending a playgroup session, or would like more information, including timetable details, please feel free to email email@example.com or phone 0407 883 830.
Participation in playgroup provides benefits to children and their parents, grandparents and/or carers.
For children, playgroups provide valuable opportunities for children to learn and develop through play.
For parents, grandparents and/or carers, playgroups create opportunities to meet in a safe and supportive environment and learn new skills, develop social networks and build linkages to other services, reducing social isolation.
Did you know?
- Children learn a lot in their early years of life before starting school.
- Whether you are a parent, grandparent or carer, it is important for you and your child to learn together to give your child the very best start to life.
- When you spend time playing with your child, you make a real difference to their future.
- Children’s experiences in their earliest years are vital to their ongoing development.
- Experiences in the early years have a major impact on future achievements at school and later in life.
- Supporting children’s learning and health and wellbeing before they begin school will give them a greater chance of a positive future.
- Learning through play alongside people that mean the most to them is a really positive experience for children.
Please note: we encourage engagement, interaction and participation. We request that no mobile phones are used during sessions so you are present and available to your child.
Cabena Child and Family Centre: 22 Cabena Crescent, Chadstone
Legend Park Child and Family Centre: 56 King Arthur Drive, Glen Waverley
Essex Heights Playgroup Centre: 15 Outlook Road, Mount Waverley
Wellington Child & Family Hub: 55 Shaftsbury Drive, Mulgrave
Clayton Community Centre: 9-15 Cooke Street, Clayton
Why visit a City of Monash Playgroup Centre?
- Experience an engaging environment where children and carers can have quality interactions together and be supported in your community
- Interact in fun, interesting activities and experiences
- Meet other families with young children in your local area
- Gain support in the development of parenting skills
- Playgroup staff give you the support you need to be the best parent/carer you can be. You will make new friends, get support and have fun with your child.
In our facilitated playgroups, parents and carers can interact with their children in fun and engaging activities within one of our playgroup centres. Each centre is well-resourced and has an indoor and outdoor area which children are encouraged to explore. Facilitators aim to support families with particular needs or vulnerabilities by providing opportunities for parents to meet and share experiences, and for children to play, learn and socialise.
Baby Explorer Playgroup
The Baby Explorer Playgroup is for babies aged 0-12 months old. During this playgroup parents and carers will have the time to let your little one see the world with fresh eyes and wonder! The session will allow for baby-led exploration time.
During the first few months of life, babies have a profound amount of growth and development. Through engagement, observation and play, their learning builds and grows.
Nature Explorer Playgroup
In addition to our indoor playgroups, we also offer an outdoor Nature Explorer playgroup to families. Nature Explorer is a relaxed outdoor program. Sessions include sensory experiences, physical challenges, nature craft, exploration, bushwalking and lots of time for unstructured play.
We encourage hands-on, child-led learning through a range of nature-based activities, nature crafts, play, storytelling, songs and bushwalking.
Nature Explorer Playgroup will take place in various parks within the City of Monash.
Online Virtual Playgroup
Our virtual playgroups take place online. These sessions are another opportunity for parents and carers to engage with their children with the guidance of our playgroup facilitators.
During these sessions, children have the opportunity to listen to stories, sing and dance.
Virtual Playgroup is suitable for all children aged 0-5 years (bigger siblings are welcome too!). You are never too young (or too old) to listen to stories or sing some songs! Parents and carers can dance and sing-a-long with their babies and toddlers.
Our morning sessions are full of energy and our evening sessions focus on stories and getting ready for bed.
Below is the current schedule of our Virtual Playgroup Sessions
Wednesday mornings: 10am to 10:45am
Thursday evenings: 6:30pm to 7pm
These sessions are open to all Monash residents.
A link is sent out the morning of each session. If you are not already on our mailing list, or if you would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0407 883 830.
Supported Playgroups offer a range of simple, positive parenting strategies called Smalltalk.
- Sessions run during the school term with a Supported Playgroup Facilitator
- Eligible families can receive home visits for one-on-one support
- Parents are supported to learn to celebrate their parenting successes and encouraged to develop their own parenting strategies
- We welcome referrals from families and organisations
Supported Playgroups are available to families with a Health Care Card (or eligible visa), Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children and children in kinship care arrangements, or families that have been referred by supporting agencies or organisations.
Join a Supported Playgroup
Joining a Supported Playgroup is simple, just call the Supported Playgroup Facilitator on 0466 026 290 or email email@example.com
If you would like to refer a family, or for more information, please call 0466 026 290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Monash playgroups are following the advice of the Department of Health & Human Services. As such, we are currently taking bookings for face-to-face groups with limited numbers across our 6 venues.
Our timetable is regularly reviewed to ensure we continue to meet the needs of our families. These sessions are held across our various centres and parks (Nature Explorer Sessions)
Bookings are essential for all face-to-face playgroup sessions.
To enrol in a playgroup session, or to find out more information about the current timetable, please email email@example.com or call 0407 883 830.
Monash Council holds regular playgroup sessions specifically for dads and father figures and their babies and children from birth to five years of age. These sessions run fortnightly on a Saturday morning during school terms.
This is a wonderful opportunity for dads and father figures to enjoy some quality time with their child(ren) and connect with others in the local community.
If you would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0407 883 830.
Visit Playgroup Victoria to find a playgroup in your area – search for Monash or by postcode or suburb.
New playgroups are often created for various reasons, including:
- There are no playgroups in the area
- The playgroups in the area are full
- There are no playgroups held on a certain day
- An existing parents' group would like to find a larger venue to cater for growing children
- There is a need for playgroups for families with a specific interest (for example, fathers, working parents, grandparents, young parents, multicultural or school-based)
If you are interested in starting your own playgroup, all you need are a couple of families and a place to meet.
The City of Monash has venues that are suitable for playgroup sessions.
For more information on starting a playgroup, please visit Playgroup Victoria.
If you need support in finding a playgroup venue or starting a playgroup, please call the Playgroup Support Facilitator on 0466 026 290 or email email@example.com