Service Authority Connection

A Service Authority Connection Permit is required if you need to carry out any Service Authority works on Council land. The types of works, including any service supply tapping, include: 

  • Water supply
  • Gas supply
  • Electricity
  • Telecommunications
  • Fire service
  • Under-road boring
  • Water main renewals
  • Sewer branches

If the works are for stormwater connections in a road reserve, Council reserve or an easement, a Stormwater Connection Permit is required instead of this permit.

Quick links:

Fees and security deposit

If successful, and if all required documents have been submitted, a tax invoice will be issued via email. Council may request further documentation before proceeding with invoicing. Permit costs and a refundable security deposit vary, depending on the works to be undertaken.

For more information, please see Engineering Permit Fees(PDF, 152KB)     

Service Authority Connection Permit fees:

  • Local and Arterial Roads: from $270.00(non-refundable)

How to apply for a Service Authority Connection Permit

When these works are undertaken by a contractor on behalf of the owner, this application should be used:

Non-Utility Minor Works - Works within Road Reserve Permit Application(PDF, 188KB)

‘Minor Works’ are typically considered to be jobs such as service connections to properties.

But if the works are:

  1. Undertaken by a utility authority or their agent, or
  2. For works other than minor works, the following application should be used:

Utility Works - Works within Road Reserves Permit Application(PDF, 669KB)

Supporting documentation

In submitting your application, we require as a minimum:

  • Site plan showing the location of the proposed works, with all measurements and features including property, trees and street furniture - for example, electricity pits or poles, Council stormwater pits, sewer pits, Telstra/NBN pits or posts, hydrants, bus stops, signage or similar. 
  • Traffic Management Plan as per the Road Management Act 2004 and the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019. Council requests you obtain your plans through an experienced provider to ensure high-quality plans are produced as poor-quality plans in the past have not met these basic requirements (hand-drawn plans will not be accepted). The Traffic Management Plan should cover temporary changes to traffic conditions, road and footpath closures, and traffic detours. Council will assess the impacts on movement and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles (check the VicRoads website: Register of prequalified contractors & consultants).
  • Copy of the Works Manager's Public Liability Insurance (Certificate of Currency).

Council may also require:

  •  A copy of a Neighbour Notification Letter advising affected residents of the works;
  • Supporting documentation from any service authority if the works affect or are near their assets, and Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) approval if located on an arterial road; and/or
  • Details of temporary and permanent reinstatement

Please note that works on arterial roads may also require a permit and Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA) supplied by the Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) and a Traffic Management plan from a prequalified contractor and consultant. 

The Service Authority Connection application advice may take up to 10 working days, depending on the complexity of the works involved.

If more information is required to complete your application, you will receive a letter with advice via email. 

How to pay for a Service Authority Connection Permit

If the application is successful, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay for the permit.

When will I receive the Service Authority Connection Permit?

After the application has been assessed, and if no further information is required, you will be issued with a tax invoice (permit and security bond fee). Once you pay the tax invoice, the permit will be issued via email. 

Service Authority Connection Permit conditions

The Service Authority Connection Permit will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully. Non-compliance may result in an infringement being issued.

Service Authority Connection Permit expiry

When assessing your application, Council will consider your submitted time frame for works. If Council limits your time frame for any reason, you will be advised before you are issued with the permit.

Service Authority Connection inspections

Council may conduct inspections to determine permit fees, the security deposit, refunds and damages.

How do I get my security deposit refunded?

Upon your advice, Council will inspect the site after works is completed to determine if any reinstatement works are required prior to releasing the refundable security deposit.

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, a letter will be sent to you so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

The refundable security deposit is paid as an electronic bank transfer into your nominated bank account.

Reinstatement of Council assets

The permit-holder is responsible for any damage caused by works and the damage must be reinstated to Council’s satisfaction.

There is currently a choice of arranging repairs to damaged assets by engaging your own private contractor, or authorising Council to complete works on your behalf at the cost quoted in the letter you will receive after the Final Inspection.

From 1 February 2024 Council will no longer offer this service and you will need to independently engage your own contractor.

If the permit-holder requests that Council carry out this reinstatement on their behalf, Council must receive the Authorisation of works prior to 1 February 2024

The cost of repair will be deducted from the security deposit, with any remaining security deposit refunded. If the works cost more than the security deposit, an invoice for these works will be issued.

If you decide to independently reinstate damages, please notify Council after rectification so a re-inspection can be arranged.

Please note, should Council attend the site 3 times or more to inspect reinstatement, you may incur an additional inspection fee of $139.70.

If no advice is received about the reinstatement from the permit-holder, Council may undertake reinstatement works at the expense of the permit-holder.

More Information

Guide: Working in the Road Reserve(PDF, 682KB)

Application & Companion Guide: Working in the Road Reserve(PDF, 700KB)

Further Enquiries

Phone9518 3555