Gender equity is the process of being fair to people of all sexes and genders. Gender equity recognises that within all communities, women, men and gender diverse people have different needs, access to power, resources and responsibilities. To ensure fairness, strategies must often be available to compensate for women’s historical and social disadvantages, which have prevented a level playing field.
Gender equity leads to gender equality, where there are equitable rights, responsibilities and opportunities for people of all sexes and genders.
Monash Council is committed to promoting gender equity in our community and our organisation, and ensuring that people of all genders enjoy the same opportunities, rights and respect.
Following consultation with our community and across Council, Monash Council has developed a Gender Equity Framework which includes a policy statement, principles and recommendations to ensure that Council continues to exceed its obligations under the Gender Equality Act 2020 and to our community.
Monash Council has also developed a Gender Equality Action Plan, which is a workforce facing Plan that sets out high level key objectives and actions to ensure that Council continues to exceed its obligations under the Gender Equality Act 2020.
To drive and deliver on gender equality across our organisation, we are committed to:
- Leading by example to create a gender equitable workplace
- Providing our workforce with the education and the necessary capability to promote and support gender equity
- Recognising and acknowledging that advancing gender equality is a shared responsibility and we believe that we should have equal access to opportunities and be treated with dignity, respect and fairness
- Taking an intersectional approach to implementing gender equality, acknowledging that gender inequality does not impact all people in the same way
- Building on our existing knowledge and experience to ensure we understand how people of different sexes and genders experience our workplace so we know how we can best support them
- Ensuring that people feel safe to raise grievances without fear of retribution
- Focusing on gathering and acting on employee feedback, holding ourselves and each other accountable for positive and long lasting change
For more information, please contact Gender Diversity and Equity Coordinator on 9518 3269