Rooming Houses and Student Accommodation

Affordable housing

Prescribed accommodation includes any residential accommodation, hotel, motel, hostel, student dormitory, holiday camp or rooming house.

The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 requires that these businesses are registered with Council. For the public health requirements for operating prescribed accommodation, please read the Prescribed Accommodation Public Health Regulations.

Buying or selling existing business

STEP 1 (Optional): Prior to buying or selling an existing prescribed accommodation, Monash Council advises you to organise an inspection of the premises under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. An inspection of Prescribed Accommodation must be arranged by the current business proprietor.

STEP 2: Before settlement occurs, the purchaser is required to complete an Application to Register the prescribed accommodation.  


To arrange an inspection of prescribed accommodation prior to selling, the current business proprietor must lodge and apply online for the inspection and pay the relevant fees.

The applicable fees include the inspection and a report that will be provided within the nominated timeframes:

  • $252.00 for a report to be completed in 10 Business days
  • $351.00 for a report to be completed in 5 Business days

Apply for Inspection

The current business proprietor is able to provide this report to anyone seeking a copy of the report.

Before settlement occurs, the purchaser is required to complete an Application to Register the prescribed accommodation.

Application to Register

Council now offers a streamlined online single application and specialist customer service through a Business Application Officer to help you upfront and throughout your permit process (checklists and tools to guide you through assessing and applying for the right permits). Visit: Starting or Buying a Business - Business Application


Renew Registration

If you wish to renew Registration for your Business, you can do it online or in person at Monash Civic Centre or Oakleigh Service Centre.

Rooming Houses

There are many rooming houses registered with Monash Council’s Public Health Unit. A rooming house is defined as a residence where one or more rooms are available for occupancy when rent is paid, and four or more unrelated people live in the building.

To see if a rooming house is registered, please check with Consumer Affairs Victoria. Consumer Affairs Victoria also has requirements for the operation of rooming houses.

Council regularly inspects all registered rooming houses and prescribed accommodation in the City of Monash.

Student Accommodation

Student accommodation is housing, outside the family home, and used by students as their place of residence. It can be either:

  • A residential building used to accommodate students
  • An existing dwelling (house, unit, apartment or flat) occupied by students

Traditionally, this is provided through various housing types that satisfy different student needs and budgets. Apart from those who live at home, the main options are:

  • On/off campus residential buildings managed by the enrolling institution
  • Privately operated residential buildings
  • Shared rental of dwellings
  • Individual rental of a dwelling/room

Information for Current and Future Tenants

Check that prescribed accommodation is registered before you sign an agreement.

To make a complaint, or inquire about registration, please call Council's Customer Service Team on 9518 3555 or email

Accommodation Operators

When registering your prescribed accommodation, be aware that Council’s Building, Public Health and Town Planning departments all have requirements. Read this document for more information: BLD0390 - Requirements for Shared Accommodation(PDF, 342KB)