Access through Reserves

An Access Through Reserves Permit is required for all circumstances where a property owner and/or their contractor needs access to private property through an adjoining Council reserve or Council property for any building works or similar.

When you are undertaking works, at home, you may have problems giving you or your contractors access to the area. If the area is next to a Council reserve or Council property, an Access through Reserves Permit is required. In all circumstances where you, as the property owner and/or contractor, need to access a private property for undertaking works within your property through a next-door council reserve or property, you will need to apply for this permit.

Dependent on seasonal conditions and type of works, there may be limitations on what Council can approve. During winter, a permit is less likely to be approved due to the higher likelihood of damage to the Council reserve or Council property. In environmentally sensitive areas, access may not be allowed at all.

Reserve Access Activities

In most cases access is allowed for the following:

Minor Works

  • Tree Removal/Pruning
  • Installation of small sheds
  • Removal of rubbish using small trailers

Major Works

  • Swimming Pool Works
  • Retaining Wall Construction

Larger constructions of buildings, such as houses or units, will not be allowed to be undertaken through the reserve due to the time needed, the amount of damage that will be caused and the hazard of the larger vehicles moving through the reserve to the general public. Skip Bins will not be allowed to be delivered into sites via reserves.

Fees and Security Deposit

When applying for this permit online you will need to pay an Application Fee, which is non-refundable. Council will process your application to determine if you are able to access your property via the reserve, when, for how long and under what conditions.

If successful, and given that all required documents have been submitted, a tax invoice will be issued via email. Council may request further documentation before being able to proceed with invoicing. The Permit Costs and Refundable Security Deposit vary, depending on the reserve, distance you need to travel through the reserve and type of vehicles accessing the reserve.

Reserve Access Application fee: $130 (non-refundable). Please note, the application fee is paid at time of applying through the online application portal.

Reserve Access Permit fees:

  • Minor Works: from $271 to $280 (non-refundable)
  • Major Works: from $630 to $650 (non-refundable)

A refundable security deposit may also be required.

More information: Engineering Permit Fees(PDF, 152KB)

Supporting Documentation

In submitting your application, we require as a minimum:

  • Site plan of the proposed works with all measurements and features of the street, including driveways, trees and street furniture. The site plan must include the exact route through the reserve. Any area of vegetation along the route is required to be marked on the plan.
  • Site photos taken prior to access commencing (minimum 5 photos). Please provide photos of the exact location of the area to be used for access and along the route to the property being accessed showing the conditions of Council's assets. See: examples below of correct photos.

If you are successful, you will be required to supply the following before the permit is issued (but only get these if asked, as there is a cost to obtain them):

  • Traffic Management Plan as per the Road Management Act 2004 and the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019. Council requests you obtain your plans through an experienced provider to ensure high-quality plans are produced, as poor-quality plans in the past have not met these basic requirements (hand-drawn plans will not be accepted). The Traffic Management Plan should cover temporary changes to traffic conditions, reserve road and footpath closures, and any traffic detours. Council will assess the impacts on movement and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles (check the VicRoads website: Register of prequalified contractors & consultants).
  • Copy of the Works Manager's Public Liability Insurance (Certificate of Currency).

Council may also require a copy of a Neighbour Notification Letter advising affected residents of the works

The Access through Reserves application advice may take up to 10 working days depending on complexity of the works involved.

If more information is required to complete your application, you will receive a letter with advice via email. If Council does not receive the required document(s) within 1 month from the dated letter, your application will be cancelled, and you will need to apply again on a later date. Please note the application fee is non-refundable.


Apply for Access Through Reserve Permit

When applying for your Access Through Reserve Permit, if your new development has multiple units, you will only be required to submit one application under one unit's property address for the whole development.

Step 1.Prepare supporting documentation

Step 2.Apply online

Reserve Access Permit Application

Please note, the application fee must be paid at the time of applying through the online application portal.

Step 3.Assessment

After the application has been assessed and should no further information be required, you will be issued with a tax invoice (permit and security bond fee).

Step 4.Pay Permit Fees and Security Deposit

If the application is successful, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay for the permit.

Step 5.Receive the Permit

Once you pay the tax invoice, the permit will be issued by email.

Reserve Access Permit Conditions

The Reserve Access Permit will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully.

Non-compliance may result in an infringement being issued.

Reserve Access Permit Expiry

When assessing your application, Council will consider your submitted time frame for access. If Council limits your time frame for any reason, you will be advised before you are issued with the permit.

Reserve Access Permit Inspections

Council will conduct inspections to determine permit fees, the security deposit, refunds and any damages that may require reinstatement.

Security Deposit Refund

Upon your advice, Council will inspect the Council Reserve after the access has ceased, to determine if any reinstatement works are required prior to releasing the refundable security deposit.

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, a letter will be sent to you letting you know and so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

If refunded the refundable security deposit is paid as an electronic bank transfer into your nominated bank account.

Reinstatement of Council Assets

Please notify Council after rectification so a re-inspection can be arranged.

Please be aware as some Council Reserves have high environmental value these may require Council to undertake the reinstatement works.

Please note: should Council attend the site 3 times or more to inspect reinstatement, you may incur an additional inspection fee of $130.

If no advice is received about the reinstatement from the permit-holder, Council may undertake the reinstatement works at the expense of the permit-holder.