Asset Protection Permit

You will need an Asset Protection Permit if you are undertaking works for, or in connection with, any of the following:

  • Construction
  • Renovation
  • Alteration
  • Demolition
  • Relocation or Removal
  • Excavation
  • Landscaping
  • Concreting
  • Subdivision Road Construction
  • Cladding
  • Restumping

This list is not a complete list of all activities that may require an Asset Protection Permit.

If works are valued at less than $5,000, an Asset Protection Permit is not required, except for any masonry structure and the demolition and removal of structures (regardless of value).

In most cases, your building surveyor will submit the notification of works on your behalf, but if they have not, it is ultimately the property owner’s responsibility to obtain the permit.

In a case of works involving demolition and construction of a dwelling, sometimes you may take out the permit for both demolition and construction. In some instances, depending on your contract, the builder may take out their own permit for construction. Therefore, you would only need a permit to cover demolition. It’s best to find this out from the beginning to avoid any unnecessary fees.

Fees and security deposit

Council will receive the notification of works from yourself or the building surveyor. This will prompt Council to undertake an inspection before works start. Council encourages you to obtain your own photographic evidence before any works have occurred.

You will receive an invoice after the initial inspection. The permit costs and refundable security deposit vary, depending on the works to be undertaken.

Asset Protection fees: Asset Protection Permit Fees(PDF, 139KB)

The above list is not a complete list of all activities that may require a permit.

How to apply for an Asset Protection Permit

If it is getting close to the start date of works and you have not received an invoice from Council, your building surveyor may have failed to notify Council of the works.

Ensure you apply for your Asset Protection Permit by calling Council’s Customer Service Team on 9518 3555 or emailing

This will prompt an initial inspection, but Council recommends you also obtain your own photographic evidence of assets for reference. 

After the initial inspection, Council will send you information on the process, expectations and an invoice for the permit cost and refundable security deposit. 

How to pay for an Asset Protection Permit

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay for the permit.

When will I receive the Asset Protection Permit?

After the application has been assessed, and if no further information is required, you will be issued with a tax invoice (permit and security bond fee). Once you pay the tax invoice, the permit will be issued via email. 

Asset Protection Permit conditions

The Asset Protection Permit will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully. Non-compliance may result in an infringement being issued.

Asset Protection Permit expiry

An Asset Protection Permit is valid for 2 years from the date of issue. You can extend your permit in 1-year increments at the cost of $155 a year.

Asset Protection inspections

Council may conduct inspections to determine permit fees, security deposit, refunds and damages.

Please note: if you are holding the Asset Protection Permit for Demolition Only, this covers you for landscaping works as well. Normally, you would request for a post-demolition inspection (at no extra cost) and then a final inspection once the landscaping works are completed (after construction). You can end your permit at the time of post-demolition, but you would need to obtain another Asset Protection Permit when you decide to undertake landscaping.

How do I get my security deposit refunded?

Once works have been completed, it is the permit-holder’s responsibility to notify Council within 28 days as per the Asset Protection Permit conditions. This will prompt Council to undertake the final inspection to determine if any reinstatement works are required prior to releasing the refundable security deposit.

If you have completed your build and you have just poured your new vehicle crossing, please notify Council as your final inspection for Asset Protection cannot take place until 1 month after the pour. The inspection is done at this time because it takes 1 month for the concrete to have reached almost 100% of its full strength and to allow time for any defects to be shown.

Please Refer to the Asset Protection Final Inspection Checklist before booking your final inspection: Asset Protection Final Inspection Checklist(DOCX, 43KB)

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, you will be sent a letter so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

The refundable security deposit is paid as an electronic bank transfer into your nominated bank account.

Reinstatement of Council Assets

The permit-holder is responsible for any damage caused by works and the damage must be reinstated to Council’s satisfaction. There is a choice of repairing Council’s assets or asking Council to complete repair works at your expense.

If the permit-holder requests that Council carry out this reinstatement on their behalf, they must notify Council. The cost of repair will be deducted from the security deposit, with any remaining security deposit refunded. If the works cost more than the security deposit, an invoice for these works will be issued.

If you decide to independently reinstate damages, please notify Council after rectification so a re-inspection can be arranged.

If the property is located on an arterial road, you will require a permit and Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA) supplied by the Department of Transport (VicRoads) before proceeding with reinstatement works, and a Traffic Management plan from a prequalified contractor and consultant.

Please note should Council attend the site 3 times or more to inspect reinstatement, you may incur an additional inspection fee of $130.

If no advice is received about the reinstatement from the permit-holder, Council may undertake the reinstatement works at the expense of the permit-holder.

More Information

Phone9518 3555