Dispute Resolution

From time to time, disputes arise between builders and homeowners, or between neighbours - but there are ways to solve these situations. Council highly recommends that you speak to your neighbours to resolve issues before reporting to Council, but if you feel unsafe doing this or the issue remains unresolved, you can contact Council on 9518 3555 or mail@monash.vic.gov.au to discuss.

Please note: some issues are not able to be resolved by Council.

Building Disputes

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) is an independent government agency that provides free services to help resolve residential building disputes like defective or incomplete building work, delays, or issues with payment or domestic building contract.

Website:  www.dbdrv.vic.gov.au

Consumer Affairs Victoria also has information on resolving building disputes.

Website: www.consumer.vic.gov.au

Neighbour Disputes

Common issues for disputes between neighbours include:

  • Fences
  • Trees
  • Overhanging vegetation
  • Noise
  • Boundaries

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria has information and methods for resolving disputes, as well as offering a free mediation process and other resolution options through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. 

For more information, call 1300 372 888 or go to www.disputes.vic.gov.au