Grey Water


Issues with the sewer can include leaks, overflows, blockages and unpleasant odours. Everything that goes down the kitchen or laundry and bathroom sink or that is flushed down the toilet ends up in the sewerage system.

Do NOT put these in the sewerage system:

  • Plastics
  • Motor oils, paints or pesticides
  • Non-biodegradable products
  • Fats, oils or food scraps
  • Cotton buds, nappies, condoms,  sanitary products and wrappers
  • Medicines
  • Wet wipes and facial tissues

What happens if they do go into the system?

These products can cause:

  • Damaged pipes
  • Blocked pipes which may impact your property or your neighbour's property
  • Harm to the environment

If there is a sewage blockage or leak on your property due to a damaged or broken pipe, call a licensed plumber immediately.

If you find a sewage smell and any indication of a sewage overflow, blockage or discharge of illegal substances outside your property, report it to the relevant water authority depending on location - either Yarra Valley Water on 13 2762 or, or South East Water on  13 16 94 or

Avoid contact with raw sewage as this can cause serious health issues. 

Grey Water

Grey water, or recycled water, is non-toilet waste water.  It can come from baths, spas, hand basins, washing machines, laundry troughs, dishwashers and kitchen sinks.

How can I use grey water?

Households generate a significant amount of grey water, which can be re-directed to your garden for watering.

What water should not be used?

Black water or toilet water should never be reused. 

Water from kitchen sinks and dishwashers, or water used to wash soiled nappies shouldn’t be used either.

Do I need a permit to use grey water?

It is important to ensure grey water is used correctly. The owner or occupiers of a property may expose themselves to legal liability if a public health hazard, nuisance or environmental hazard is created.

If installing a system to collect, store and treat grey water then a permit is required from Council and the system must meet Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Guidelines. See the EPA website for more information on onsite wastewater systems: Regulatory framework for on-site wastewater systems.

To inquire about an onsite wastewater system permit, contact Council customer service on 9518 3555 or email

If using grey water through a diversion system that does not store and treat the water then no permit is required. But consent must be obtained from Yarra Valley Water on 13 2762 or, or South East Water on 13 16 94 or All works need to be carried out by a licensed plumber.

More Information