Planning an Event in Monash

Children painting and crafting at a shared table

The City of Monash is home to a vibrant program of events and festivals that inspire strong, creative and connected communities.

We encourage and support community groups and organisations to hold their own events within the municipality, helping to grow the diverse range of events on offer to our residents and visitors. Whether you are organising a public or a private event, if it occurs in an outdoor public place anywhere in Monash, you will require approval from Council.

We have experienced Events Officers, whose role it is to provide support for community event organisers in staging events in our public spaces.

To speak with our Events Officers, call 9518 3636 or email

Please allow at least 12 weeks before your event date to seek approval if you’re planning an event that is open to public attendance. 

NOTE: In accordance with the updated the Road Management Act 2004 (Code of Practice for Worksite Safety - Traffic Management) (CoP), all street closures will require a Traffic Management Plan prepared by a ‘Traffic Management Designer’ and the use of accredited traffic controllers at the full cost of the applicant.

Events not required to seek approval

In some cases, events may not need a permit. These could include:

  • Sporting events which are presented as part of a regular fixture and run by clubs within existing lease agreements
  • Group fitness activities
  • Events being held indoors, including Council buildings, halls and community centres
  • Ongoing markets (where a lease or licence has been issued by Council)
  • Events on private property
  • BBQs, birthday parties and Christmas functions that do not involve things like temporary infrastructure, amplification, jumping castles and amusements

If you are unsure if your event needs approval, please get in touch with Council’s Events Officers who can offer advice.

Fees for commercial use

Permit fees are applicable for events organised by commercial organisations or businesses, including ticketed events.

The Permit fee for commercial use is $1500 per day. 

Fees may also apply to hire public space. 

A bond may also be applicable, depending on the scale of your event operations.

Definition of Low, Medium and High-Impact Events

To assess whether an Event Permit is required for your event, we have developed an Event Impact Matrix to outline the factors Council uses to evaluate the impact your event may have, based on the information provided in the Expression of Interest form.

To speed up EOI approval process for Medium or High Impact events, you may wish to add Event Plan, Risk Assessment Plan, Site Map and evidence of Public Liability Insurance to your online application.

Low-Impact Events - minimum 4 weeks notice

  • 0 to 200 attendees
  • Minimal temporary infrastructure – Up to two 3m x 3m marquees (weighted) will be allowed. Strictly no pegging
  • Minimal noise impact
  • No food vendors serving the public
  • No change to traffic conditions and parking
  • No impact to usual amenity of space

Medium-Impact Events - minimum 8 weeks notice

  • 201 to 1000 participants, artists, staff, contractors, volunteers
  • Moderate temporary infrastructure – small staging, additional infrastructure such as marquees and toilets  
  • Is not fully enclosed or fenced off and/or require mandatory entry fee
  • Moderate noise impact
  • Up to 7 caterers or food vendors
  • Moderate additional vehicle traffic to the event area
  • Some impact to amenity of space
  • Event has successfully been delivered in Monash before and has no significant changes to the Event Plan

High-Impact Events - minimum 12 weeks notice 

  • 1001 participants, artists, staff, contractors, volunteers
  • 8 caterers or food vendors
  • Substantial temporary infrastructure required (for example: staging, PA, marquees, toilets, catering)
  • High noise impact
  • Substantial additional vehicle traffic to the event area
  • Substantial impact to usual amenity of space
  • Event is new or has significant changes to the Event Plan

NOTE: A Place of Public Entertainment Permit (POPE) may be triggered if you have the following:

  • A place of more than 500m2, which may include the erection of a prescribed temporary structure
  • A seating stand for more than 20 persons
  • A marquee of more than 100m2
  • A tent of more than 100m2
  • A booth of more than 100m2
  • A stage or platform of more than 150m2
  • 5000 or more persons person at any one time during the event or activity
  • A place that is enclosed or substantially enclosed where a reasonable person would see as being an exclusive/controlled area
  • A place to which admission can be gained by payment of money or other consideration.

Any event that triggers a POPE permit will be deemed a high-impact event and will require a minimum of 12 weeks notice

Expression of Interest (EOI)

An event is any organised activity that requires specific planning where people come together. An event may include community, cultural and environmental gatherings, commercial activities, celebrations and some sporting events.

Please read before applying: Permit Terms and Conditions(PDF, 631KB)

If you want to run an event, please fill out EOI:

Event Expression of Interest

The Expression of Interest (EOI) is a short online questionnaire to provide Council with an overview of your event, so we can assess what approvals may be required. It is recommended that as much information is supplied as possible.

Council will use the information provided in your EOI to determine whether your event requires a permit. If you do, you will be asked to provide Public Liability Insurance (with a minimum of $20 million cover) and submit an Event Plan, including (at a minimum) a Site Map and Risk Assessment, before receiving your permit.

The submission of an Expression of Interest does not imply the event is approved – it is a registration of interest only.

Privacy Statement

Monash City Council (“Council”) collects personal information via this form for event administration and related purposes which the individual to whom the information relates may reasonably expect. Council will not release or provide access to personal information to any other person or body, unless (a) it has been authorised to do so by the person to whom the information relates, (b) it is permitted or required to do so by law, or (c) it is appropriate or required in the performance of the functions of Council. If you refuse to supply the requested information we may not be able to process your expression of interest. You may gain access to your personal information by contacting Council’s Privacy Officer via email at


It is important that event organisers understand it is necessary that an individual or an organisation that is a legal entity within its own right is responsible and accountable for the operation of the event. This includes ensuring the relevant permits and permissions are obtained before running an event and that the required level of insurance is maintained for the event.

People and organisations who organise and run events on Council land and/or buildings without having the relevant permissions or permits in place are likely to be subject to enforcement action, which may include prosecution.

Supporting documents

The documents provided below have been developed to help you plan your event:

NOTE: In accordance with the updated the Road Management Act 2004 (Code of Practice for Worksite Safety - Traffic Management) (CoP), all street closures will require a Traffic Management Plan prepared by a ‘Traffic Management Designer’ and the use of accredited traffic controllers at the full cost of the applicant.

Where can I hold my event?

Booking a Reserve

Visit Parks and Recreation for available open spaces.

To book a reserve or park, please complete the EOI and list your intended space. Fees may apply.

A permit does not provide exclusive access to Council land.

Our Recreation team is also available to assist with general enquiries and availability of our parks and open spaces. Email:

Halls for Hire

Monash Council operates 18 halls for use by the community. Our Hall Hire team will be able to assist with general enquiries and support for booking a hall. Email, call 9518 3684, or visit Halls for Hire for more information.

A permit is not required for events held indoors at Council halls.

Monash Community Grants Program

The Monash Community Grants Program (MCGP) provides funding to support community groups and organisations to deliver projects, activities and events held in Monash, to strengthen, enhance and benefit the local community.

Community grants are available to local organisations running community events and/or major festivals. Please note: approval to receive a Monash Community Grant in support of a community event/festival does not exempt you from the Event Permit requirements.

For more information on eligibility and applying for a community grant, please visit the  Monash Community Grants Program.