Stormwater Connection Permit

Stormwater Connection Permit is required before connecting or making changes to Council’s drainage system. This system includes underground drains, drainage pits, and kerb and channel.

This permit application allows us to check private drainage works whenever a new connection or alteration to our drainage system is carried out, ensuring it complies with Council requirements.  

If you are only doing drainage works and it involves occupying the roadway, there is no need to apply for another permit as the Stormwater Connection Permit will cover this.   

The Stormwater Connection Permit is required by the Community Amenity Local Law 3.

Fees and Security Deposit

When applying for this permit online, you will need to pay a Permit Fee.

If successful, and if all required documents have been submitted, a tax invoice will be issued via email. Council may request further documentation before proceeding with invoicing. A refundable security deposit will normally be required, and may vary depending on the works to be undertaken.  

Stormwater Connection Permit fees:

  • Kerb and channel without an onsite (OSD) system: $230.80, including 1 drainage inspection (non-refundable)
  • All other types of stormwater connections: $300.20, including 2 drainage inspections (non-refundable)

When the drainage connection work is not up to our standards or is incomplete, additional drainage inspections may be required. An additional fee of $139.70 will be charged for each additional inspection.

Supporting documentation

In submitting your application, we require as a minimum: 

  • Site plan of the area with all measurements and features of the street, including driveways, trees and street furniture - for example, electricity pits or poles, Council stormwater pits, sewer pits, Telstra/NBN pits or posts, hydrants, bus stops, signage or similar 
  • Copy of the Council-issued Legal Point of Discharge Report

It is recommended you also supply the following documents if you have them, as you may need these if your application is successful:

  •  A copy of the Council Approved Drainage Plan if the works relate to a Town Planning Approval, or where previously requested by Council. If this is not required, then a sketch plan of the proposed works must be provided.
  • Traffic Management Plan as per the Road Management Act 2004 and the ;Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2019. Council requests you obtain your plans through an experienced provider to ensure high-quality plans are produced, as poor-quality plans in the past have not met these basic requirements (hand-drawn plans will not be accepted). The Traffic Management Plan should cover temporary changes to traffic conditions, road and footpath closures, and traffic detours. Council will assess the impacts on movement and safety for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles (check VicRoads website: Register of prequalified contractors & consultants).

Please note: If the works are being conducted in an easement, a Traffic Management Plan will not be required.;

Council may also require:

  • A copy of a Neighbour Notification Letter advising affected residents of the works, and/or
  • Supporting documentation including Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) approval if undertaking work on an arterial road

Please note: any works on arterial roads will also require a permit and Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA) supplied by the Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) and a Traffic Management Plan from a prequalified contractor and consultant. 

The Stormwater Connection Application advice may take up to 10 working days depending on complexity of the works involved.

If more information is required to complete your application, you will get a letter with advice via email. If Council does not receive the required document(s) within 1 month from the dated letter, your application will be cancelled and you will need to apply again on a later date. Please note the application fee is non-refundable.

Apply for Stormwater Connection Permit

When applying for your Stormwater Connection Permit, if your new development has multiple units, you will only be required to submit one application under one unit's property address for the whole development

Step 1.Prepare supporting documentation

Step 2.Apply online

Stormwater Connection Permit Application

The permit fee must be paid at the time of applying through the online application portal.

Step 3.Assessment

If the application is successful and a refundable security deposit is required, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay for the refundable security deposit.  

Step 4.Pay fees

If the application is successful, a tax invoice will be issued for payment via email.

The tax invoice will provide advice on how to pay for the permit.

Step 5.Receive the Permit

Once the permit fee and refundable security deposit have been paid, the permit will be issued via email.  



Stormwater Connection Permit conditions

When the Stormwater Connection Permit is issued, it will contain conditions that must be read and followed carefully

Non-compliance with the conditions may result in an infringement being issued.

Stormwater Connection Permit expiry

If approved, a Stormwater Connection Permit will be issued which will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

If the permit expires, a new permit must be applied for.

Stormwater inspections

Stormwater inspections must be undertaken as part of this permit. Please see Stormwater Inspections for more information. 

Security deposit refund

Upon your advice, Council will meet you on site to inspect the installed connection to determine if any reinstatement works are required prior to releasing the refundable security deposit.

If there is no damage and the inspection is signed off as satisfactory, your refundable security deposit will be returned. If any damage is noted, Council’s Inspector will advise you so you can arrange for any reinstatement works.

The refundable security deposit is paid as an electronic bank transfer into your nominated bank account. 

Reinstatement of Council assets

Please notify Council after rectification so a re-inspection can be arranged. 

If no advice is received from the permit-holder about the reinstatement, Council may undertake the reinstatement works at the expense of the permit-holder.