What goes in your hard waste
Monash residents get one free annual hard waste collection, and can book an extra hard waste collection for a fee.
The following information relates to both types of collection.
Only begin putting accepted items on your nature strip a couple of days before your collection.
For the annual hard waste collection, there is a limit of 4m3. This is equal to 1m wide x 2m long x 2m high.
For the extra hard waste service, there is a limit of 2m3.
Yes, these items can be put out for collection
Only put the accepted items listed below on the nature strip for collection. Most items are collected for recycling or resource recovery, but some items are sent to landfill.
Important: Each item must be less than 1.5m in length and able to be safely lifted by two people.
Please group items in these stacks:
Stack 1: Hard waste
- Carpet or linoleum (must be rolled and tied)
- Window glass, mirrors, porcelain, ceramics (securely wrapped and marked as “glass” or “ceramics”)
- Household furniture
Stack 2: Metals
- Washing machines
- Pots, pans
- Lawn mowers
- Hot water units
- Scrap metal (items must be less than 1.5m in length and able to be safely lifted by two people)
Stack 3: Mattresses
- Mattresses (up to 2 only)
- Bed base
Stack 4: Fridges and electronic items
- Fridges (remove doors)
- Computers and printers
- Electrical goods (items with a plug or cord. Remove any batteries)
Stack 5: Garden waste
- Small logs (must be tied)
- Small tree stumps
- Garden branches (must be tied)
No, these items can't be put out for collection
- Batteries (any type)
- Stones, concrete, bricks or excavated material
- Tins of paint
- Cement sheeting, plaster
- Industrial or hazardous waste, including asbestos
- Motor oil, liquid waste, chemicals or pesticides
- Materials from professional renovations and building sites
- Household rubbish
- Tyres of any type
- Cardboard and recyclables (bottles, paper, plastic)
- Car batteries and coil springs
- Water tanks (whole or dismantled)
- Gas bottles
Tips to ensure accepted items are collected
Items may be collected by different trucks, at different times, during your collection week. You can help make sure accepted items can be easily collected by:
- Only putting accepted items out for collection
- Separating your items into the above stacks: (1) hard waste, (2) metals, (3) mattresses, (4) fridges and electronic items, and (5) garden waste
- Putting accepted items on your nature strip before 6am on the Monday of your collection week
- Ensuring no vehicles are parked in front of your waste
Items that aren’t accepted will be left behind. You will receive a note in your letterbox to let you know why the items couldn’t be collected, and how you can correctly dispose of them. Please remove uncollected items from the nature strip within 24 hours of receiving the notice.