March 2023 - New application
Council is seeking community feedback on the proposed development of 27 new dwellings and associated subdivision.
Feedback is formally sought by Thursday 27 March 2023. However, Council will continue to accept submissions on this proposal up until it makes a decision.
About the Proposal
The applicant, Miller Merrigan, is proposing a $7 million residential development that includes:
- The development and associated subdivision of 27 new dwellings on the site with an area of 13,000m2
- Proposed vehicle access from Katoomba Drive with a new internal east-west road, and dwellings located to the north and south of the new access
- Visitor parking for six spaces
- The development provides for a mix of dwellings ranging from three to five bedrooms with an individual double garage.
- The mix of buildings proposes 26 double-storey dwellings and one single-storey dwelling.
- Allotment sizes vary from 317m2 to 507m2.
- Removal of vegetation with the retention of six existing trees
Previous Proposal (TPA/51849)
A previous application TPA/51849 proposing 41 dwellings on the land was refused by Council at the 27 January 2021 meeting and upheld at VCAT. Please read the VCAT decision.
Here are the documents that have been submitted by the applicant:
3D Representation(PDF, 706KB)
Arborist Report and Tree Management Plan(PDF, 2MB)
Biodiversity Report(PDF, 7MB)
Certificate of Titles(PDF, 1MB)
Clause 55-56 Assessment(PDF, 1MB)
Design Response Existing Canopy Cover(PDF, 7MB)
Elevation Plans(PDF, 23MB)
First Floor Plans(PDF, 23MB)
Garden Area Plan(PDF, 4MB)
Landscape Plans(PDF, 22MB)
Planning Report(PDF, 19MB)
Previous VCAT Decision(PDF, 3MB)
Proposed Plan of Subdivision(PDF, 2MB)
Shadow Plans(PDF, 8MB)
Site and Ground Floor Plans(PDF, 20MB)
Sustainable Management Plan(PDF, 3MB)
Traffic Report(PDF, 8MB)
Public Information Session
A community information session was held on:
Date: Monday 20 March 2023
Location: Online via Zoom
How to provide feedback
Any person who may be affected by the proposal may lodge an objection or provide feedback to Council. Objections must be made in writing.
Objections should detail any concerns you have regarding the proposal, reasons for the objection, how you would be affected by the proposal, and include your name, postal address and reference to TPA/54219
Please provide in writing to Council by 27 March 2023
Please quote the Application Number TPA/54219.
October 2021 - VCAT decision
A VCAT hearing was held on 24, 25 and 26 August 2021 regarding an application on the land at 501-521 Police Road, Mulgrave.
The Tribunal issued its direction on 29 October 2021 that no Permit is to be granted for the proposed development.
For more information, please refer to VCAT's decision(DOCX, 10MB).
About the proposal
An application was made to Council for the construction of 41 double and single-storey dwellings on the land at 501-521 Police Road, Mulgrave.
The application proceeded to a Council meeting on 27 January 2021 and Council determined to refuse the application. A copy of the officers' report and advertised plans are available here: Council meeting 27 January 2021
The Permit applicant appealed Council's decision, and a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) took place on 24, 25 and 26 August 2021 via VCAT’s online forum.
Formally amended plans have been circulated by the Permit applicant and are provided below.
The key changes include:
- Reduction of the number of dwellings from 41 to 33 townhouses and change in dwelling mix (including seven single-storey dwellings now amended to double-storey dwellings)
- Retention of additional trees on the site
- Introduction of minimum 5m setback from the rear (north) boundary, except for Unit 4’s garage
- Addition of a pedestrian pathway within the site, linking to Police Road and Katoomba Drive
If you would like to become a party to the VCAT appeal, you will need to complete a Statement of Grounds Form via VCAT’s website: Statement of Grounds Planning
Statement of Grounds were due by Friday 30 July 2021.
Amended planning documents
Amended Plans(PDF, 13MB)
Amended Plans Covering Letter(PDF, 68KB)
Statement of Changes(PDF, 148KB)
VCAT Notice of An Amendment of an Application Form(PDF, 95KB)